Rule 1 – Say Yes
- Say yes to that story idea.
- Say yes to pitching at a conference.
- Say Yes to finding 15 minutes a day to write.
- Say yes to the value of your writing
Rule 2 – Say Yes and….
- Say yes and make a commitment. Offer something to move your yes forward.
- Say yes and read a craft related book.
- Say yes and commit to having your manuscript finished by July 1.
- Say yes and revise that scene until it sings.
- Say yes to sending the manuscript out…
Rule 3 – Make a statement
There are many questions in the world.
Be brave and make statements that might just be answers
- Change “Do you think this is a good idea?” to “This is a good idea.”
- “This is worth the effort. I have something to say.
- “This story is about….”
- “I feel deeply about…”
- “This is my purpose in writing this story…”
Rule 4 – There are no mistakes
- Only opportunities to adjust, amend, explore further, find the new yes.
- Perfect does not mean without errors, it means “complete.”
Adapted for life and/or Writing by Jane Kirkpatrick, 2018